People in the Lansing area who want to take action against Trump and extremist Republican legislators will have many activities to choose from in the coming days. From opposing the repeal of the Affordable Care Act to taking a stand against the Muslim ban and advocating for sanctuary cities, there’s a lot to choose from.
MONDAY, FEB. 13
- U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar office hour from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Mecosta County Courthouse, 400 Elm in Big Rapids
- No Ban No Wall No ACA Repeal protest at Rep Mike Bishop’s office from 4-6 p.m. at 711 E. Grand River Ave. The next event calling attention to Congressman Bishop (R-MI8), his atrocious policy ideas and his unwillingness to meet with constituents. To learn more about this event, take a look at the news release here.
- Lansing City Hall – debate on sanctuary city status, protest at 5:30 p.m. at city hall, corner of Capitol Avenue and Michigan Avenue, and the city council meeting begins at 7 p.m. Pro-immigrant activists will be encouraging Lansing to become a sanctuary city. Recently, the city attorney has come out against sanctuary city status.
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 15
- Coffee hours with U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar (R-MI4) around the district. At previous similar events, his staff attended, instead of him personally, and it’s unclear if Moolenaar himself will be present. Events include:
- 9-10 a.m. in Conference Room A in the Ogemaw County Administration Building, 806 W. Houghton in West Branch
- 11 a.m.-noon at the Gladwin City Hall, 1000 W. Cedar in Gladwin
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Room in the Gratiot County Courthouse, 214 E. Center in Ithaca
- 1-2 p.m. at the Clare City Hall, 202 W. Fifth in Clare
- 3-4 p.m. at the Evart City Hall, 200 S. Main in Evart
THURSDAY, FEB. 16
- While U.S. Congressman Mike Bishop (R-MI8) still won’t hold a town hall, he is dispatching his staffers to an office hour from 10-11 a.m. at the East Lansing Public Library (Room 3), 950 Abbot Road in East Lansing. Several activists plan to attend and press for a town hall. For more information, look here.
- Coffee hours with U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar (R-MI4) around the district. At previous similar events, his staff attended, instead of him personally, and it’s unclear if Moolenaar himself will be present. Events include: Feb. 16: U.S. Rep. John Moolenaar office hour from 10-11 a.m. at the Owosso City Hall, 301 W. Main in Owosso
- 10-11 a.m. at the Roscommon County Building, 500 Lake in Roscommon
- Noon-1 p.m. at the DeWitt City Hall, 414 E. Main in DeWitt
- Noon-1 p.m. at the Missaukee County Building, 111 S. Canal in Lake City
- 4-5 p.m. at the Thomas Township Library, 8207 Shields in Thomas Township